13 October 2011

Pretty it isn't

Still experimenting, not just with enamel and technique, but now with "tools" - and I use that word loosely.
Yesterday, I made the above pendant, using my centerpunch to make those bumps. I used two coats of black enamel (actually, my counterenamel) and one coat of red and I quite like the effect.
I figured, it would be better to find another type of tool because that centerpunch really isn't meant to be whacked this hard with a hammer. So, bring on the nails, really big nails, deck nails is what my husband calls them. Perfect! They don't just make bumps, they leave holes if I hit them hard enough and often enough. Case in point, the slightly blurry blue pendant below. Same technique: two coats of black, one of blue, lots of heat.
Then I went for my favorite colors: an opaque light bluish-green topped with a layer of Nile green transparent and lots and lots of heat, so much so that the opaque comes through the transparent. Love that effect, although, it might be time to move on to something else. I mean, how many of the same does one need?Same basic technique, with a dark-grey under white. I was hoping for more distress which I got below .............Now that's what I call overfired. Here I actually used just white, fired like crazy from underneath and then moved the flame to the top. Love, love, love the effect, but really: pretty it isn't.And just to show that I learned something new: the above photo shows that you can zoom with an iPhone. I learned that from a teenager this weekend (should hang out with some of those more often).
Now, I really need to buckle down and work my way through the videos in my online class with Deryn Mentock ......... and study some French. I probably should have scheduled my classes just a little better, oui?

No comments: