22 October 2017

A bit of eco printing

I tried eco printing for the first time a couple of days ago. I had looked into it 2 years ago, had gone out to buy a nice roasting pan at the thrift store and collected a few leaves and left it at that.
A few weeks ago, several women in one of the FB groups I belong to posted YouTube videos and pictures of their eco printing and I decided I had to try, too.
Here are a few of the papers I ended up with:
This is thinner paper than recommended (and I don't remember what it is, it was a scrap). But the finish was smooth and the results are very nice. A grape leaf, a few sage leaves and, I believe, a flower from my anemic mum plant.
Again, thinner than recommended paper with nice results. Probably Japanese maple leaves.
This is 140 lb. watercolor paper. Another grape leaf and the flowers from a vividly purple salvia/Mexican sage plant.
More 140 lb. watercolor paper. Another grape leaf, sages leaves, another flower from that mum plant and a twig from a plum delight bush.
This one is pretty wild and I don't really know what plants I used. Again, watercolor paper.
Watercolor paper, the flowers from one of my succulents and another twig from that salvia bush.

A few observations:
Eco printing is not difficult. Results are not predictable; the purple or pink or dark red flowers did not print that way. 140 lb. watercolor paper takes ages to dry completely. Results differ a lot between the slightly rough 140 lb. watercolor paper and the smoother, thinner paper I used. It seemed to me that the colors were different with the lighter paper. But it's fun and a bit addictive. I have a second batch steaming away on the stove right now and plan to do more - just as soon as I can get my hands on some eucalyptus leaves.

In case anybody wants to try this, I used this YouTube tutorial and referred to this and this tutorial/blog post.

I did it the simple way: a roasting pan with an insert, 6" x 6" tiles from Home Depot, dipped my papers in white vinegar, layered the papers with the plant material in between the tiles, held those together with rubber bands (I am running out, need to collect more), added plenty of water in the pan (but not above the level of the insert) and let the whole thing bubble and steam for 2.5 hours. I used a weight from a discarded weight machine the first time, I forgot to use it this time, oops! After the steaming process was done, I let things cool down, then opened the bundles, put the tiles aside, separated the papers and let things cool completely.

Why do I not always remember which plants I used? Because sometimes I peeled them off as I separated the papers (and that's when I don't remember), sometimes I waited until the papers had dried. I really should be lots more scientific about it and write what I used on the paper as I assemble, but that's just not really me. I don't expect predictable results and I'm okay with that.

Let's see what the second batch looks like.

2 comments:

Rosemary Morris said...

You did a great job. Hope to see more son!
Rosemary

GeoPartnerS said...

I love your papers, the ones on thinner paper are so pretty and seem to have more color then the thicker watercolor paper. Great job! I hope to try this at some point as well.