28 October 2017

Yet more of the same

Yesterday, I did three batches of eco printing, that's about two too many.
I tried different things, some worked, some not so much. I will try to recap as short as I can.
For the first batch, I used rusty bits in the water. I also tried different kinds of paper, regular printing paper, 32 lb.; parchment paper, 24 lb.; Bristol paper (don't remember the weight, but it's thicker and has a smooth surface); Stonehenge paper (also thicker); ledger paper; tracing paper; book pages and canvas (comes in a pad). All of it worked just fine. Yes, it takes more careful handling, but nothing fell apart in the steaming process and nothing ripped or tore. I also tried pink dye, this time not enough to really show up.
I am not completely thrilled with the results, it's all a little too grungy for my taste.
 
I think these are from the second batch, also fairly grungy. I dripped a bit of pink dye on the papers. Again, not that thrilled.
Next, I tried the immersion method, no rusty bits, with pink dye. This time, obviously too much. Sheesh! I don't seem to do just right.
The leaves imprinted just fine on the pages I photographed, but there's just a little too much pink for my taste around the edges.
And for the last batch, I just used copper again, my usual steam set up, with a little of the pink residue left in the pan:
 
 
I am very pleased with the last two- nice imprints, I think that's Bristol paper.
And here, just for fun, is a picture of the deli paper I use to protect my paper bundles. It's been through several steamings:
I have one more batch steaming as I type this and will show pictures - if things turned out well - and summarize what I've learned, what I like and don't like about this whole eco printing business.

1 comment:

Cheryl Ann said...

I think they ALL look cool!