24 October 2017

More experiments in eco printing

As I said it my previous post, this eco printing is a little addictive.
I did two more experiments yesterday and learned quite a lot - again.
I was inspired by the results one of the women in my FB got with blue dye and decided to try using Rit dye. I had already figured out that using the tiles on both sides of the paper bundle acted as too much of a resist, so I decided to use only one tile. And, just for fun, have one bundle tile up, and the other bundle tile down. Big mistake:
Do what's on the left and absolutely do NOT do what's on the right - unless you want dyed papers instead of printed ones. Left was steamed tile down, right tile up.
 
 Outside and inside of paper. Not quite what I was after.
This is better.
Close-up of raspberry leaf. Those print nicely and raspberry bushes are like weeds around here. Just have to be careful of those stickers.
The rest of the page.
And this is my - ahem - parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme page. Parsley does not print well.
This whole experiment was more a lesson in what not to do. I like some of the effects I got with the Rit dye, but I probably should not have used as much as I did - about 2 TB (I used the pre-mixed liquid). I did another session with dye and that turned out much better. But those pictures will have to wait for another post.


No comments: