28 October 2017

Alum experiment No. 2

Just real quick, a few pictures from the second alum experiment (I took pictures of the process for the "this is how I eco print" post). The first time I used alum, I soaked the papers in a bucket for 1 hour. I didn't quite like the results and, this time around, I only soaked for 15 minutes. The results aren't much different, still very bright and vivid. If I ever use alum again, I will use much less in the soaking water.
So, here are a few pictures of what I ended up with:
 
All these are still drying outside. Lesson learned here: lay the papers out in a single layer as soon as possible.
This one is interesting (at least, to me it is). The really dark green splotches are made by dark red flowers, those little mums you find all over the stores these days.
Maple leaves.
Gingko leaves, a little disappointing. I was hoping for something more detailed, but they are delicate and it shows in the results.
Hydrangea leaves. Those worked well.
There were 3 eco printing sessions yesterday, not all the papers have dried yet and I experimented with pink fabric dye - with mixed results - but that's for another blog post.

No comments: